Avatar The Last Airbender fans were left disappointed with M. Night Shyamalan’s live-action attempt to Nickelodeon’s hit animated series back in 2010. Now, Netflix will try to steer the course with their live-action series. So how is Netflix going to develop a better show? Well so far, Avatar The Last Airbender cast is full of tremendously talented actors.
The animated series ended in 2008, but Netflix announced plans for a live-action series in 2018. The original show creators Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko would spearhead the show for Netflix. They eventually left the project due to creative differences. Netflix’s Avatar The Last Airbender would move on with Albert Kim as showrunner.
Netflix previously announced the main characters of the live-action Avatar The Last Airbender which includes Gordon Cormier as Ang, Kiawentiio Tarbell as Katara, Ian Ousley as Sokka, and Dallas Liu as Zuko. The show will also include a number of familiar faces including Daniel Dae Kim as Fire Lord Ozai, Paul Sun-Hyung as Uncle Iroh, Maria Zhang as Suki, Yvonne Chapman as Avatar Kyoshi, Casey Camp-Horinek as Gran Gran, and The Karate Kid and Cobra Kai’s Tamlyn Tomita as Yukari. As the show develops, rumors continue to swirl about additional actors playing Avatar’s other prominent roles.
Now, Netflix officially revealed the full cast for the live-action Avatar: The Last Airbender show. There’s a whopping 20 new additional actors that will fill roles for the Water Tribe, Earth Kingdom, Fire Nation, and Spirit World. More notably, the new additions include Hulu’s Prey breakout star Amber Midthunder, Teen Wolf veteran Arden Cho and Star Trek’s George Takei. Below is the full list of new additions:
- Amber Midthunder (Prey) as Princess Yue: The compassionate spiritual leader of the Northern Water Tribe
- A Martinez (Cowboy Bebop) as Pakku: The veteran waterbending master of the Northern Water Tribe and a fierce defender of their traditions
- Irene Bedard (The Stand) as Tagoda: An empathetic healer who serves as a role model for her tribe’s female waterbenders
- Joel Oulette (Trickster) as Hahn: A strong and skilled warrior with an unwavering loyalty to his tribe
- Nathaniel Arcand (Heartland) as Chief Arnook: Father to Princess Yue and the respected leader of their tribe
- Meegwun Fairbrother (Burden of Truth) as Avatar Kuruk: A previous Avatar with a haunted past
- Arden Cho (Partner Track) as June: A tough and persistent bounty hunter known for her ruthless efficiency
- Utkarsh Ambudkar (Ghosts) as King Bumi: The ancient and mercurial ruler of the Earth Kingdom city of Omashu
- Danny Pudi (Mythic Quest) as the Mechanist: An eccentric inventor and engineer who’s doing his best to raise his son in a war-torn world
- Lucian-River Chauhan (Encounter) as Teo: The idealistic and high-flying son of the Mechanist
- James Sie (Stillwater) as the Cabbage Merchant: A long-suffering vegetable vendor in Omashu
- Momona Tamada (Secret Headquarters) as Ty Lee: An energetic and upbeat teen and one of Princess Azula’s best friends
- Thalia Tran (Raya and the Last Dragon) as Mai: An unflappable and deadpan teen who, along with Ty Lee, is one of Princess Azula’s closest allies
- Ruy Iskandar (Yes Day) as Lt. Jee: The first officer of Prince Zuko’s ship
- Hiro Kanagawa (Altered Carbon) as Fire Lord Sozin: The ruthless and ambitious previous ruler of the Fire Nation and grandfather of Fire Lord Ozai
- C.S. Lee (Dexter) as Avatar Roku: A wise and benevolent past Avatar from the Fire Nation
- François Chau (The Expanse) as The Grate Sage: The venerated spiritual leader of the Fire Nation and guardian of Avatar Roku’s shrine
- Ryan Mah (The Good Doctor) as Lt. Dang: Commander Zhao’s second-in-command.
- George Takei (Star Trek) as Koh: An ancient, predatory spirit
- Randall Duk Kim (Kung Fu Panda) as Wan Shi Tong: Appears in the form of a giant owl and is also known as the Spirit of Knowledge
The new additions to the live-action Netflix Avatar The Last Airbender cast includes a wide range of diverse performers who are incredibly well-known, some on the rise, and a few less known. Amber Midthunder playing Princess Yue is a big win for Netflix because of Prey being such a huge hit for Hulu.
There is no set date for the premiere of Avatar The Last Airbender but some sources say the Netflix live-action series will debut sometime by 2023.